Chalet BBQ - The Original Chicken Chalet

Before I post what I made last night, I need to do my taxes. I also have to briefly discuss my lunch at a place that has been long due for a visit. People have been telling me about Chalet BBQ ever since I moved to Montréal but we've never mustered the strength to walk 20 minutes for this delicious chicken. Delicious chicken being the first and most common praise I've heard about Chalet BBQ. I've also been told that this is the original chalet of serving chicken  and that the servers are grumpy, old, French women. Only two of these facts hold true.

My friend and I both agreed that the chicken was delicious and moist. Being so tender on the inside that any knife was mostly for show while having a golden, crispy skin on the outside. You can really nghe (hear) the yummy chicken flavour.   Delicious chicken? Yes.

While waiting for my friend in the restaurant, a server noticed I was waiting a little while and asked if I wanted anything while I waited, which was nice. I also asked her a confusing question about why I had a choice of coleslaw or tomato juice. How are those two things like having a choice of fries or a baked potato, of soup or a salad, of bacon or sausage? I think she thought I was playing some kind of joke on her but she told me it's just been that way for as long as she could remember. So not so much grumpy.

After some Wikipedia "research" (that's how it's done nowadays!) on Swiss Chalet, I found it was built in 1954. There is apparently no Wikipedia article on Chalet BBQ but their own website claims it was built in 1944. Based on my extensive research, it is the oldest BBQ chicken place in Canada and quite possibly, the world.

If someone asked me what my Ba's favourite North American food was,my guess would be Swiss Chalet style places. The most recent meal I had with my family was at Swiss Chalet. I'll have to remember to take them to Chalet BBQ when they come to visit.

Comments