A Good Friday Passover Meal

I've never had Matzoh Ball soup before nor have I ever known what it actually was. I always thought it was Mozza ball soup, as in mozzarella (which sounds delicious) and now having just done a little research as to how to spell it, I've learned that it can be spelled about six different ways with "oh's" or "ah's" or combinations thereof.  Whether I knew how to spell it or not, this past Friday I got the ultimate Matzoh-experience learning first where to buy it in the Kosher aisle of the grocery store, then how to make it before eating it. You wouldn't think a ball of dough in soup would taste that good. I sure didn't. Oh, I'm actually lying a little bit. I stopped into the Juicy Lotus Café (vegan, kosher, pretty good food) during Passover and announced that I had never had a matzoh ball. I was promptly fed a piece of a whole wheat matzoh ball that was also most likely vegan and gluten free. I smiled and mumbled between my chewing "Oh, it's good." and I'm not gonna say it's not good, all I'm saying is that it tastes amazing in chicken soup. 

Finally, after a couple weeks of fending for myself, my partner in cooking crime returns in full force to educate me on her culture and the cuisine that comes along with it. She was even so kind as to let me smell the container that held some Gefilte fish. 

Good Friday Passover Menu:

Spinach Kugel from Healthy Helpings
- Matzoh Ball Soup
- Parmesan Baked Tilapia (Halibut) Filets from Healthy Helpings with Sweet corn on the cob
- Matzo cake
A lot of our past dinner recipes have come from this book, so you can check it out here on Amazon if interested: Healthy Helpings: 800 Fast and Fabulous Recipes for the Kosher (or Not) Cook


This dish was super delicious and we put them into easy portionable muffin shapes. 

I ate four of these. Maybe five.
They had the consistency of pakoras although they weren't deep-fried, and they were delicious. The other dinner guests agreed they were pretty awesome.

Matzoh Ball Soup

I didn't have much of a hand in making this dish but if you buy a box of Matzo Ball Mix (See how they spell it there?) it'll have a recipe on the back. 


I learned to roll 'em up.


We dropped them in  homemade chicken stock for 20 minutes.


And served them in soup.

Parmesan Herb Baked Tilapia Fillets

- 4 White fish fillets
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Dried Basil
- Mayonnaise
- Salt
- Pepper
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (We used the powdery version)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the fillets on a lightly greased pan. Rub the garlic on the top of the fillets and season with salt and pepper. Brush the fillets with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with basil, cheese, paprika. Put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.


Matzoh Cake, a secret family recipe? 

She never told me it wasn't!
-  200 g of butter
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup cacao
- 4 tbsp water
- 100g of halva (she had Vanilla flavoured. yum)
- Sprinkles!


Mix that all in a pot and heat on low until it all blends together (about 5 minutes). Once mixed, cool until it is spreadable, but not too runny. We got a secret tip from her momma to fill the sink with cold water and stick the pot in that while continuously stirring until the desired consistency is reached. Once ready, place a layer of matzoh in a dish, and spread with the chocolate mixture. Continue to do so until the final layer of chocolate. We then made it pretty with sprinkles. Let set in the fridge for 30 minutes, or until you're ready for dessert.


I'm not a huge fan of chocolate or desserts so take this advice seriously: do yourself a huge favour and stick your finger in that pot of chocolate and let your inner child take over. Like I said, I'm a die-hard savoury food fan and I nearly scraped that pot clean. Though I did scrape the Kugel muffin pan clean. However, once the cake was served, it went head to head against a chocolate cheese-cake from a nearby shop and it held its own. Go Matzoh cake! 

you say whatever...

Comments