Imadake - "Now Only"

We were going out to see a comedy show for charity on Saturday and it just so happened to be nearby a Japanese place we were curious to try. Long, long ago, one of my friends told me about a Japanese izakaya-style (tapas bar) called Godzilla's that was going to open downtown. We waited eagerly...and waited...

And waited...and forgot about it.

Finally, about a week ago, my friend visiting from out of town told me about this great little Japanese tapas bar that he ate at downtown and the location was exactly where Gozilla's was going to open! Turns out Godzilla turned into the now open Imadake and we were super excited to experience tastes of Japan again. Gillian and I went and were pleasantly surprised as we entered to the promising sounds of "Irrashaimase!".  We ordered Beef Tataki, a Daikon Salad, Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, Karaage and some fried chicken skin! Our general consensus was that everything was satisfactory for two kids that lived in the Kansai area of Japan for about a year.

The Makino Family loves it too!
We realized it was a little silly to get Takoyaki since we have made it at home, we felt even sillier when we saw that they didn't put the little dried seaweed flakes (aonori) on top! It definitely lacked a bright, green colour. However, I did enjoy that they somehow got their outside batter extra crispy, as if they deep fried it quickly but other than that, it merely satisfied my need for Takoyaki. Oh, it also did not burn your mouth the way any good Kansai Takoyaki and Okonomiyaki should.
Our looked, tasted and burned much better! Don't worry, one
Friday Night Dinner will be Takoyaki.
I also had a brief conversation with our server to practice my terrible Japanese but when I asked what Imadake meant together (since Ima means "Now" and Dake means "Only"), he told me it meant "Just now" which fit quite well with my direct translation. 

It was definitely a fun little place to eat, and their selection of interesting ramen looks awesome. We would definitely go back with a group of friends or to try a bowl of special ramen. I'll bring a camera next time, since I think the ramen will look prettier than the dishes we had. 

Comments