Rhubarb Cake - It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake...

Today was a cold, rainy day and we had just finished off a banana bread from my mother in-law. So to warm up the house and to keep us with a constant supply of delicious and moist cake, I decided to attempt to bake. A cake. I am a pretty terrible baker because of the way I cook, with no regard for measurements. My Friday night dinner partner reminds me to read recipes because of this one time when I sort of turned one of our baking projects into a disaster. I'm getting better. I promise.

I'm surprised I never learned anything about baking since I used to do a lot of baking with my aunts when I was younger and my mom baked all the time. The house never lacked a  container filled with a cake or some sort baked good. One thing she used to make all the time was Rhubard Coffee Cake, I think mostly because we had a rhubarb plant in the backyard that grew like a weed. A delicious, delicious weed. My wife made me this Canadian Living Rhubarb cake, with strawberries added, for my birthday  and had a lot of leftover frozen rhubarb. I would like to point out though (and this completely negates all I claimed to have learned about following recipes) that one can substitute regular milk for buttermilk and it tastes just absolutely dandy.  My birthday was 3 months ago, and it took me this long to finally use it. Work with what you got when you can.

you gotta do the cookin' by the book!

Comments

  1. Actually it was this:

    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/strawberry-rhubarb-coffee-cake/Detail.aspx

    But your recipe is just as delicious and much healthier, since it lacks a layer of sugar crumble on top.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment