Baking Bánh Mì (Bread)

In preparation for a future dish, I practiced baking a French Baguette recipe that I found at Viet World Kitchen. I suppose that gives away what I plan on making or maybe it was already quite clear from the title. I've made loaves of bread before and they turned out fine and bread-like. I guess for some reason I assumed baking French Baguette would involve more ingredients and technique. As far as this recipe goes, it is quite the contrary and is quite easy to make.

Due to the baking nature of this recipe, I followed it more or less to the T (what T is everyone following to anyway?) so check out the link above! This is more or less a supplementary post to the main event post that this bread will be co-starring in. 

The first interesting tidbit I noticed about the recipe was that it used a food processor! I was excited to use this fancy new KitchenAid mixer that my aunt gave us but instead I had to use my fancy KitchenAid food processor. Shucks! Really though, I was confused when the recipe said to use the regular blade! I looked longingly at the dough blade that I have yet to use and sighed as I picked up its larger, sharper, deadlier sibling. I was amazed how it really makes some great dough and doesn't just shred it into little tiny bits.
I'm always referring to brains. Maybe I should've studied
psychology.

After the third rising of the dough, it was time to shape it into something resembling a baguette.  



I split the dough to make 4 loaves, although the recipe says it makes 2. I made shorter loaves.



There's fun with spraying water on the bread during the baking process, but I didn't have a spray bottle that wasn't already filled with oil or bathroom cleaner so I opted to just dribble water on top of the bread with my hand. I know, I know, you're amazed at my technique. I get that a lot.



It was pleasing to my wife, the lover of plain, white starch in all forms as she devoured an entire (small) loaf by herself. How could she not? So fluffy, so soft with its alluring smell.  

Isn't it amazing though how complex bread would've been during its creation? Who would've thought that throwing all these things together + kneading + baking made this delicious edible ...thing?  There are too many leaps there for my mind to make. Reason why I'm not a baker?

and then we rise again

Comments