White Fish Tacos with Pear and Mango Salsa

Every week I look forward to hearing from my cooking partner, Sivan, in order to mentally prepare myself for an adventure into a new realm of the culinary world. Last Thursday, the day that comes before Friday, I receive an e-mail that says

Depending on how expensive fish is, how do you feel about a good salsa?

Although the price of fish has little to do with how I feel about salsa, I told her that I have strong feelings for a good salsa. Some of our regular dinner attendees were confused by the idea and thought it to be perhaps a strange combination. In the end, Sivan stuck with her idea and with the help of this recipe from fruitandveggieguru.com, we ended up with a vibrant, delicious meal full of lovely colours.

Cod Tacos with Pear and Mango Salsa inspired by fruitandveggieguru
Fish Sauce (Or sauce for fish)
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
An entire lime worth of Lime juice
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Cumin, ground
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, ground (We didn't have cayenne on hand and used tobasco sauce instead)

A healthy amount of White fish fillets (recipe suggest 6, we just had a couple big fillets)
A bag of flour tortillas

Salsa
1 pear, cut into cubes
1 mango cut into cubes
1/2 Red onion, minced
A handful of cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt

The actual recipe calls for 1 tbsp Jalapeno pepper and red grapes. I would use the pepper in the future, but probably never bother with the grapes.

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350F
Whisk oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt and tobasco in small bowl; set aside.
Place fish in single layer in a baking pan. Pour oil and lime juice mixture over fish and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes until fish is opaque and flakes with fork.
Mix pear, mango, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and salt in small bowl.
Serve fish and salsa on warm tortillas.



There are no pictures of the fish, nor the fish in taco form because we were too busy munching away and being pleasantly surprised of how well this meal went together. I'm not sure why I was surprised, I guess it was just that much better than I thought it would be especially considering how quick and easy this was to make.

This week, we are heading on a road trip south across the border to visit Baltimore, MD and Washington D.C! Since our trip spans across a Friday, we are currently planning to cook a meal for our hosts. Look forward to Friday Friday in the USA! (A wonderful combination of two songs that achieved an unfortunate level of catchiness)

Not to overshadow this Friday, but also look forward to next week because it will be a "Cooking with my family" special edition. What makes it even more special is the fact that it will be 100 days since my Ba Ngoai passed away so we are going to visit the grave and attending a service. After a bit of poking around on the internet, I found that the 100 days after is known as tot khoc, or the end of tears when the family visits to close the burial rites. I will be cooking with one of my cousins and we are hoping to make something extra special to honour our grandparents.

Comments