Happy Birthday Gillian - Cherry Bundt Cake

Gillian told me she wanted flowers to dance around
her head too.
Today my wife catches up to me in age as she takes her first step into her late twenties. I don't put much emphasis on age but she keeps making jokes about it and I wonder if it is secretly bothering her (I doubt it!). Of course I had planned on baking her a cake and I've been waiting to make this cake for her because I know she loves it. In fact, this has been her birthday cake for as long as she can remember. I just turned to ask her if this statement was true and it is except for one year when the oven was broken and they had ice cream cake.  Apparently I was there.

It is fitting that the first year we spend together as a family, I am making a recipe that comes from her's. After all, this is about learning from my family, right?
This is what time travel must feel like.
There was no straying from this recipe, it's been tried and tested for many years. Although I was told by what I thought was reliable source that we should be using whole wheat flour...

Cherry Bundt Cake 
Printable Recipe

1 1/4 cups softened butter
2 3/4 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour 
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup undiluted Carnation Evaporated Milk
2 cups drained, quartered maraschino cherries

Pre-heat oven to 350F.
Blend together butter, sugar, eggs and almond extract in large mixer bowl on low speed. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl often. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with evaporated milk, combining lightly after each addition. Stir in cherries. Turn batter into a buttered 12-cup bundt pan or 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Bake in oven for 70 to 80 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Dust top lightly with icing sugar to serve.



So once the birthday girl tasted her cake, she realized that her mother did not use whole wheat flour, so hey, not my fault. It was still incredibly moist and it tasted very similar, to me at least. Next time, it'll be perfect.

now these points of data make a beautiful line

Comments

  1. I have the best husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to inquire as to how to acquire a husband similar to the afore mentioned husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your blog too much Mike,in that time is running, but I linger here, as it's a fascinating read!
    I do use a healthier flour: Robin Hood unbleached all purpose NUTRI-FLOUR BLEND.(contains ground wheat bran)
    Has Gillian baked her family-RUM CAKE yet? It's another great bundt pan recipe. Love you both
    Mommie Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bonnie
    No she has not, Bonnie but I will. I bought the cake mix already and now that we have a bundt pan, the only remaining ingredient is a special occasion worth cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment