Foodboxing - Lentil Bacon Linguine

There was a sudden need to use up all the food in our pantry, a reason that I will mysteriously not discuss. However, I had ideas for to use up some linguine we had lying around without the need of much from the grocery store. For some unknown reason, I had a can of lentils in my sights for a few days and set a course for some kind of lentil pasta. I pondered the idea of a simple olive oil and herbs but felt it would be too dry for the amount of olive oil I'd actually want to use. I also needed to use up some bacon left over from breakfast with a recent house guest. There was really no choice at that point.

Lentil Bacon Linguine

Ingredients
- About 1/3 of a package of Dried Linguine, cooked
- 4-6 strips of bacon, cut into 1-2 inch long pieces. Make them bite size.
- 1 can of lentils, rinsed and drained
- White wine
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley chopped, (I used cilantro)
- Red chili flakes (Optional)


Prep

Fry up that bacon until it's just the way you like it (I like it crispy). Pour out most of the fat from the pan, leaving a little bit. Add the onion and fry for a 30 seconds. Add the garlic, green pepper and tomatoes. Splash in the wine to pick up the bits that are probably on the pan. Really let those tomatoes start to melt down and maybe add in a dash of tomato paste. Add the lentils and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Stir the linguine in, covering it in the sauce. 

As a topping, I added a poached egg. Mmm.

It's not terribly saucy, but I had an excess of noodles since I didn't use all of them (I had about 3/4 of a package probably). I'd use more tomatoes, and possibly tomato paste next time. Add Parmesan cheese as you like.

two cups into my coffee break