A bit of a revival? With some peanut butter, banana french toast?

I think this will be more of a monthly revival using food articles that I wrote for my uncle's Vietnamese newspaper Thoi Bao in the past couple years. I recently moved and after having a super crazy teaching/extra curricular schedule for the past few years which sent blogging to the back burner. Though now  I'm looking at trying out something new now that I'm in a province that is overflowing with teachers.

In any case, here's an article I wrote for January of this year. Generally I'll leave these unedited to save time but may make a comment or two beforehand. I have nothing to say here except that I made these pre-blog life so I don't have any pictures really. 

This year at our New Year’s eve gathering, aside from given the honour of creating the charades, I’ve also been asked to make breakfast the next morning. I thought about the idea of bringing Montréal bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon and all that good stuff but I wanted to make something interesting since I don’t get many chances to treat my relatives. I ran through my breakfast repertoire which is admittedly small and finally came up with a dish that is a delicious combination of two classics. It’s a recipe that I saw on a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode about a place in San Diego called Cafe 222 where they make an amazing peanut butter and banana sandwich french toast!

We've tried this recipe before and it's a wonderful breakfast to treat guests to. It combines the sweet and salty of the classic peanut butter and banana sandwich but also the comforting, warmth of French toast. The batter has a touch of rum in it which adds a lovely, sweet aroma and really brings it all together. There's something magical about combining two classic favorites when it works so well, though sometimes it can end in disaster.

I know that the timing for this recipe might be bad, considering New Year’s resolutions and that stuff, but you’ve gotta treat yourself sometime. Happy New Year and happy cooking!

Cafe 222’s Peanut Butter French Toast (Be careful if you click the link, the site plays loud music!)

This recipe makes two French toast sandwiches so double up as necessary!

Ingredients:

4 slices of crust-less wheat bread
2 ripe bananas
Peanut butter
Honey

Batter ingredients:
4-5 eggs
1/2 cup of half and half
1/2 cup orange juice
Splash of vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp of rum
Zest of half an orange

Preparation:
Spread peanut butter on two slices of bread, top with lengthwise slices of banana. Drizzle with honey and top with another slice of bread to make a sandwich.

Prepare batter by combining all batter ingredients by mixing with a wire whisk.

Dip sandwiches into batter and cook in a hot pan until golden brown. Turn over and cook until also golden brown and cooked through. Slice in half diagonally and  top with powdered sugar and sliced bananas.